Sunday, April 29, 2012

Road Trip!!!

Friday we set out for a road trip to Nakuru.  Jonathan has been out to the rural areas, but this was my first exposure to Kenya's roadways!  It was an experience.  We decided that we would not take any electronics, so the kids would not be asking for their DS as a giraffe is walking by the car!  They did great to be in vehicles for so many hours this weekend, making memories and making their own fun.  They were also great sports about having pit stops with no restrooms (that's all I'll say about that :) and eating meals on the shoulder of the road.  I'm breaking the trip up into 3 parts, because as you can imagine, we have tons of pictures.  This post includes photos from Friday's road trip.



Leaving Kisumu, Tammy pointed out some of the destruction from the riots a few years ago.


Boulder on the shoulder of the road...sure, why not?


We were making a pit stop and these people spotted the mzungus.


They called their friends to come see our caravan!

                                     

                                This salesman was chasing our car trying to sell us a live chicken.


 The roads were either bumpy, bumpy, or bumpy.  The car felt like it would shake so hard that it was going to fall to pieces in some places.  It didn't and we all survived.  This is Blake's truck that he let Chris borrow to lead our two-car caravan.


Donkeys



Hannah's favorite...bubbies.


Innovative fence


We were driving close to a cliff.  Don't worry, we're back safely to Kisumu.  Isn't this veiw amazing?!  I have to admit, I didn't expect everything to be so green.  I guess I thought all of Kenya was a desert.


This guys chased us down trying to sell me some roasted corn.  I did not buy and this guy was still in a happy, playful mood.  Honestly, I have yet to meet someone that just woke up on the wrong side of the bed.  Most people here have nothing and they are so joyful and appreciative of the tiniest things.  I pray that we don't ever forget what God is teaching us here.


A piki convention...almost to Nakuru.
We visited the park when we first got to the city.  Here are a few photos we took Friday evening that show our first impression of Lake Nakuru national park.  Needless to say, this was enough to get us very excited about our upcoming adventure!


A baboon greeted Tammy as she opened the door.  It was trying to get into the car to find food! lol...


A baby baboon hitching a ride


Wow!  This sign is not lying.  Baboons ARE destructive!  I'm not going to type the whole story here, let me just say that I had a very close encounter with a baboon Saturday afternoon.  I left quite an "impression" on him.  We are going to try to post a really funny video tomorrow.


The kids are standing on stumps in a fairly marshy area trying to identify animals over the fence since they'd have to wait an entire night to enter the park.


We did see a zebra!


And here's a very beautiful bird.


Tammy described the forest as "Narnia" and I affectionately call it "Forks".


JP checkin out the zebra

I'll post day 2 of our road trip tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment